About the Program
This program prepares students for jobs in the web industry. Several students have been successful at finding entry level positions or have chosen to freelance upon their completion. This program is about the code! There are several tools out there to create web pages quickly but in order to meet the special requests of your clients, you will need to understand the code.
The program’s Advisory Board drives the direction of the curriculum. The instructor works closely with the board to verify the skills taught are skills needed for today’s web workforce.
You probably can’t imagine life without the Internet? This is a career that will always be around and the skills are adaptable to many professions.
Perks of being in the program
- Portfolio Review by Industry Professionals
- Job Shadowing
- Pixlfest Student Conference
- Access to the complete online library of lynda.com
- Group Critiques of work
- Job Search assistance
- Compete with other students in web competitions
Personal Characteristics Needed
- Analytical thinking skills
- Communication skills
- Ability to adapt quickly to change
- Ability to work in a team
- Commitment to lifelong learning
- Problem solving skills
- Ability to manage projects and tasks to meet deadlines
- 9th grade reading and writing level
- Basic computer skills
Who Can Attend?
High school Juniors, Seniors and Adults
8:00 am – 10:55 am and/or 12:30 pm – 3:25 pm
Full-time students may enroll in both sessions
The program will provide a foundation for students who are wishing to attend college and major in the following areas:
- Database Management
- Digital Arts
These individuals are an integral part of the program. They generously donate their time to work with the instructor to develop a program that meets the needs of industry. Based on the recommendations of this board, the curriculum is constantly being revised to make sure students are prepared for the workforce.
- Gerroald Barron
Technical Support | iThemes
- Janell Carpenter
Web Developer| Amshot Solutions
- Sarah Graybill
Owner | Graybill Creative
- Neill Harmer
Senior Website Manager | We Go Look
- Chad Henderson
Senior Web Developer | Carlisle Food Service Products
- Natasha Martin
Software Developer / Marketing Automation Specialist | American Fidelity
- Avery Peterson
Senior Software Developer | Locke Supply
- Tim Priebe
Pretty Cool Boss Man | T&S Online Marketing
- Brian Richardson
- Garron Rose
Olive Media Agency
- Rick Shaw
Web Designer | Francis Tuttle Technology Center
- Susan Simkins
Senior UX Developer | Big Wing Interactive
- Jason Zimdars
Senior Designer | Basecamp
Instructor Bio – Christy Whitfield
She’s been teaching web design and development for the past 16 years. She recently left teaching to pursue a position as a web specialist in industry. She quickly realized she missed the students and following the web world as closely as she did while she was an instructor. Therefore she returned to the classroom filled with new ideas to better prepare students for the real world. She believes learning should be fun! Therefore she is always sharing some chuckles with her students. If you can’t laugh at yourself or with someone, you are missing out!
Her motto is: If you believe it, you can achieve it. If you dream it, you can become it.
Christy is a Master CIW Designer, Adobe Certified Associate Educator and has certified in Oracle’s 9i SQL. She is also a National Board Certified Teacher.
Former Students Hired by these Companies
- Elise Alley – iThemes
- David Ashmon – Interworks
- Gerroald Barron – iThemes
- Janell Carpenter – AmShot Solutions
- Bree Franklin – Rank Monsters
- Jessica Green – DeLynn Designs
- Kristen Harris – Francis Tuttle Technology Center
- Greg Hilvosky – Finley & Cook
- Jessica Hough – Back40 Design
- Walter Jones – Computer Services, Inc.
- Jason Kaplan – Findly
- Kathy Kelly – Francis Tuttle Technology Center
- Jenny Lu – Elias/Savion Advertising
- Natasha Martin – American Fidelity Assurance
- Brian Richardson – Hobby Lobby
- Rick Shaw – Francis Tuttle Technology Center
- Stephanie Simkins – Studio FJ
- Susan Simkins – BigWing Interactive
- Scott Stubblefield – Mad Mobile
- Nathan Thomas – a la mode, inc.
- Derek Viars – Geek Powered Studios
- Josh Willson – Findly
Get enrolled today to begin learning the skills needed for an exciting, ever-changing career! You can create anything your mind imagines!